In a modern society, extremely concerned about the general obesity of the population, which moves little and leads a too-measured way of life, the problem of severe weight loss is not considered serious, and sometimes even rejoice. However, studies show that this symptom is very dangerous and almost always indicates a serious malfunction of the body.
If you quickly, uncontrollably lose weight without visible causes and efforts, then this can be an extremely dangerous factor that requires timely diagnosis and comprehensive treatment.
Description of Rapid Weight Loss
By rapid weight loss is usually meant a sharp decrease in body weight and visual emaciation of a person. At the same time, external factors contributing to such a symptom are absent: the patient does not engage in active sports, continues to eat fully and leads a habitual way of life. At the same time, the patient’s well-being may be normal until some time, but after a certain period of time, he feels a weakness, possibly intoxication, there is a high fever and other symptoms of any disease.
The main mechanisms of this process include defective malnutrition or complete starvation, sharply increased needs of the organism after loads and diseases, as well as a significant decrease in the absorption of nutrients into the body and hyper-boron, in which the main vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins, carbohydrates are excreted naturally by without their penetration into the body.
A sharp decrease in body weight, as mentioned above, can be caused by a huge range of diseases and negative conditions. Here are just a few of them:
- The problem with the adrenal glands. Usually adrenal insufficiency is accompanied by anorexia, weakness, severe weight loss, regular stool disorders, mental irritability. Sometimes the patient is followed by attacks of nausea, as well as focal manifestations of severe skin pigmentation.
- It is widely believed that diabetes causes only obesity – it’s not at all! This disease causes the failure of the metabolic processes and provokes not only a set, but also a sharp loss of weight, depending on the specific state of the organism. In addition to losing weight, diabetes mellitus accompanies fatigue, severe thirst, frequent urination.
- Neurological anorexia. This disease of neurological nature is typical for women from 18 to 30 years and is accompanied by a very sharp loss of mass (up to 50 percent) for a short time interval. In patients with this diagnosis, muscle atrophy, loss of hair, general weakness, hypotension, frequent constipation, and regular uncontrolled vomiting are observed.
- Systemic depression. Severe forms of systemic depressions are sometimes accompanied by drowsiness, suicidal thoughts, loss of appetite and weight, and general fatigue.
- Protozoal infections of this type provoke muscle pain, sudden weight loss, severe diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting.
- Viral infections with herpes. Herpes, despite the classic sluggish form of the disease, sometimes contributes to malnutrition due to unpleasant sensations during meals, which in turn provokes weight loss.
- Gastroenteritis affects the absorption of fluids into the body, slowing them down, which in turn leads to serious weight loss, dehydration, fever, dryness of all mucous systems of the body, tachycardia and other manifestations of the disease.
- Inflammation in the esophagus region brings severe pain in the process of food intake – a person can de facto avoid this event or minimize it. Such violations of the function of swallowing provoke a strong and sharp weight loss, often the patient has regular vomiting.
- Such a terrible disease as blood cancer causes rapidly progressive loss of body weight, the appearance of tachycardia, general weakness of the body, pain in muscles and bones, anemia, wide spectrum fever, spleen enlargement, etc.
- A variety of oncology. Almost every oncological disease can be a catalyst for the process of rapid weight loss, which distinguishes according to the symptoms depending on the location and type of disease
- A variety of inflammations of the oral mucosa interfere with full nutrition and thus provoke weight loss.
- Tuberculosis of the lungs. Serious infectious disease can cause in addition to sweating, weakness, chest pain, hemoptysis, dyspnea and subfebrile temperature, and weight loss with anorexia.
- In acute lymphomas, dynamic smooth weight loss is usually observed, occurring against the background of an increase in lymph nodes, spleen, liver and the occurrence of skin itching.
- This disease provokes a significant increase in the level of hormones in the thyroid gland, which “accelerate” metabolic processes, cause severe diarrhea, sweating, fevers, severe weight loss, tremor of the extremities.
FFT-syndrome. In newborns and small children, it is rare, but food insufficiency is periodically diagnosed, as a result of which the baby quickly loses its weight and strength.
- Whipple’s syndrome. This condition is characterized by a significant damage to the intestinal epithelium and almost complete stopping the absorption of fluid and nutrients through the digestive tract, which in turn provokes a sharp loss of body weight, diarrhea, steatorrhea, and a variety of anorexic manifestations.
- Ulcerative colitis. Ulcerative colitis causes a decrease in appetite, physical exhaustion of the body and weight loss and an increase in body temperature.
- Crohn’s disease. During the development of the disease, patients experience weakness, fatigue, persistent diarrhea, abdominal cramps and rapid weight loss, even with adequate nutrition.
- Some medications for the treatment of the thyroid gland, stimulants of brain activity, laxative, as well as chemotherapy are the catalyst for an extremely rapid loss of body weight with a general exhaustion of the body.
- Physiological causes. For physiological reasons, weight loss can include aging (and correspondingly, a reduction in muscle mass), psychiatric disorders, alcoholism, loss of teeth (difficulty and chewing food), etc.
What to Do and How to Stop?
If the diagnosis did not reveal serious health problems, then a number of physiological procedures should be used to normalize the metabolism and systematize the diet.
- Regularly engage in moderate physical activity, preferably in the open air.
- Often go on a sunny day in the street, “hang up” your appetite.
- Significantly increase the calorie content of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eat well, include in the diet a variety of pastries, pasta, fish dishes and a large amount of vegetable oil.
- Drink decoctions that increase appetite.
In the event that a sudden weight loss is associated with stress or emotional stress, it is worth:
- Learn to fully relax. Visit meditation and yoga courses.
- Apply aromatherapy to normalize the emotional background.
- Drink broths, lifting the mood and relieving stress.
- Sign up for a relaxing massage.
If your problem is still related to the disease, then it is necessary to visit a doctor, especially if the weight is rapidly lost for more than a month, there are other ailments, and the total mass of your body is less than the average by 15-20 percent.
Precisely determine the medical problem can only be after diagnosis. In addition to visual examination by a doctor, it will be necessary to undergo ultrasound examination of the food tract and thyroid gland, fluorography, gastroscopy, urine, blood and stool tests for hormones, parasites, leukocytes and other risk factors. Only after these events you will be assigned the correct and qualified treatment.
Nausea and Weight Loss
“Do you suddenly lose weight, and there is a constant urge to vomit, and nausea does not go away even after using medication? There may be several reasons for this, and all of them are associated with possible manifestations of diseases.”
The combination of the two above symptoms is typical for:
Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract of a wide spectrum. In this case, the underlying factor is the inflammatory process, which blocks the absorption of nutrients and disrupts digestion. Such disperse phenomena as a liquid stool, vomiting with nausea, provoke a more active withdrawal from the body of nutrients, which causes tissue hypoxia, as well as an acute lack of “fuel” for the body.
Hormonal failures, in particular hypothyroidism, caused by a lack of basic thyroid hormones. Autoimmune disease is characterized by constant nausea, drowsiness, fatigue, as well as a sharp set or vice versa, a decrease in weight.
Cancer of various etymologies. One of the basic symptoms of advanced cancer, is nausea, weight loss, blood clots in the stool.
Pregnancy with concomitant toxicosis. In the first trimester of pregnancy, future moms often experience attacks of nausea, they lose weight, lose appetite, there is a general weakness of the body. This physiological process is a consequence of toxicosis and should pass by 20-22 weeks of pregnancy. If the anxiety symptoms do not disappear, then it is urgent to undergo a comprehensive diagnosis of the condition of your body.
Addison’s syndrome (hypokorticism). If the adrenal cortex is deficient, along with other symptoms, the weight of the patient is almost always significantly reduced, which experiences regular nausea and the urge to vomit.
Weight Loss and Temperature
Rapid and abrupt weight loss, as well as high temperature, accompanying this process, usually indicates the presence in the body of diseases such as ulcerative colitis, gastroenteritis or pulmonary tuberculosis. Quite often, these symptoms indicate extreme exhaustion of the whole organism or a chronic lack of fluid that nourishes all body systems.
Smooth dynamic weight loss with increasing amplitude, as well as a constant subfebrile temperature, increasing in the evenings, may indicate the development of oncology and cancer tumors.
Weight Loss During Pregnancy
Weight loss during pregnancy in the first trimester is considered the norm in the event that it is accompanied by toxicosis. At this time, the future mother experiences regular vomiting, aversion to certain types of food, general weakness. Usually, the toxicosis goes to 20-22 weeks and from the physiological point of view it does not harm the baby or the fair sex. However, if the toxicosis is significantly delayed or if you lose weight in the absence of a visible cause for a prolonged period of time, especially in the second and third trimester, then this is the reason for urgent medical attention, which will help to determine the true cause of weight loss by the method of complex diagnosis.
Weight Loss in Stress
Stressful situations, depression, as well as a variety of neurology, can provoke both obesity and a significant dramatic weight loss. In some cases, these conditions provoke the development of anorexia, especially if they are caused consciously in an attempt to reduce weight by provoking vomiting after meals.
The problem can be eliminated exclusively by qualified specialists who will prescribe appropriate medication, physiological procedures and recommend psychological help.
Carefully and carefully watch your own health, do not allow the development of disease and be happy always!